Welcome to Year 2
Please click on the link below at 9:00am to join our live registration and find out what your jobs are for today.
This is your timetable for the week. You need to click on the link to teams below to find your work for each day.
To end the day there is a live story session at 11:40pm. Click on the link below to join.
Year 2 timetable
If you would like to do any more work when your teams jobs are all finished, below are some things you can do:
Home Learning checklist
Note: to show Powerpoints in slideshow mode, click the icon in bottom right corner.
We don’t expect you to do every task every day, but please try and have a go at most of these activities over the week. We are so proud of all your hard work!
- Flashback 4 and Fluent in 5 (look below on this page for these)
- White Rose (click to go directly to the site). Use practical, counting objects to help if you can!
- Times Tables Rock Stars or Numbots (click to go directly to the site – username/password sent via text message)
- Top Marks Interactive Games – spend some time on some of these. There are so many fun ones to choose from! This tally mark games is worth a look!
- Click the picture below to refresh your memories on how we solve column addition problems. Something to remember is that what she calls ‘Dienes’, we call ‘Base 10’
- Click here to find a worksheet to practise your skills. Remember, write T for tens and O for ones at the top of your calculation. If you gain confidence, look at the regrouping sheets. If you can, use objects like beads or pasta to help you solve them!
- A link to some maths YouTube videos
- Continue work on Purple Mash (username/password sent via text. ‘Hand in’ any work!)
- WRITING PROMPTS – every day, use one of these pictures to write some super sentences!
- Handwriting: Keep up with that beautiful cursive handwriting that we have been doing in class. (look below on this page for these)
- Conjunctions: If you have been looking at ‘Subordination’ on Purple Mash and would like a bit more of a look, please look at these resources!
- Spelling: Click here for this week’s spellings. Look, Say, Cover, Write, Check! These words will be so useful in your writing too!! Once practised, you can then take the test on Purple Mash – good luck!
- Off-screen activities: Have a go at some of these – get creative!!
Remember our colourful semantics from our English lessons? Well now you’ve practised the basics, have a go at using some adjectives in your sentences. Remember, adjectives help to describe nouns – it may be to do with shape, size, colour or personality. Have a go at writing a selection of sentences – make some funny ones up if you like! I will do one for you…
You can see that the word ‘red’ describes the swing (noun) and it adds more detail to the sentence so the reader can imagine more accurately.
What is wrong with this sentence? (Clue: check at the end – what has been missed?) Make sure your sentences have everything we need.
Don’t forget your gorgeous, neat cursive handwriting!
READING AND PHONICS
- Reading book: Please keep reading your school book together as well as sharing other stories that you have at home. You can now log home reading on Purple Mash!
- Phonics: Phase 6 morning starters Powerpoint and have a go on Phonics Play – Phonics Play is now free for January – use the following information: Username: jan21 Password: home
- Reading comprehension: we had started to get really good at these activities last term – keep up that hard work and super reading with these activities.
- STORYTIME: click to watch Mrs Wyatt reading the story of ‘Giraffe’s Can’t Dance’ and have a go at writing the answers to these questions! (click on the bold words to open links).
- OXFORD OWL have an excellent variety of Ebooks for all reading levels! Free account needed (Click here for direct link).
- COLLINS BIG CAT are also offering access to free ebooks until the end of February. Click on this link which will take you to a page giving you the login information for parents.
- *VIDEO LESSONS* (6 parts) PLANTS – fun, short science lessons all about how plants grow, types, parts, changes! Go take a look!!
- Click here for BBC Bitesize KS1 short videos on plants and plant life cycles. There is also a quick 5 question quiz for after you’ve watched the 2 minute video – good luck!
- BBC Bitesize KS1 Parts of a plant – Short video and quiz.
We have been loving learning Spanish in Year 2 this year! If you want to continue some Español at home that would be MUY BUENO (really good!)
Please remember – you can email the YEAR 2 team on Purple Mash. Please do keep in contact. We love hearing from you and are here if you have any questions or need help with anything. (How to email – log onto Purple Mash, type in 2email into the search bar and your emails will appear.)
Online Safety – more time will likely be spent online during lockdown, so it is more important than ever to stay safe online. Click here for a folder full of activities about cyber security, video watching and streaming. Please try and discuss these things with your child. Thank you.
Finally, please continue to stay safe and look after yourselves and your family. Best wishes to you all, from Mrs Wyatt, Mrs Martin and Mrs Atkins
This is an example of a daily set of questions on ‘Flashback 4’. These cover different maths area such as shape, money, time etc. They help to keep the children’s skills in constant use to interrupt their forgetting. Make sure Powerpoint is in slideshow mode, so that answers aren’t shown. Click the icon in bottom right corner.
Fluent in 5
This is an example of a typical ‘Fluent in 5’ question. There are usually 3 questions per day and these help to build the children’s maths fluency as they revisit different maths concepts daily and get to practice different maths skills when solving them. Answers at end of each week’s slides. We are now in week 5.
Spelling Common Exception Words
These are the common exception words for Year 1 and Year 2. The idea is that by the end of Year 2 (July) children should be able to read and spell all of these words with confidence. Learn one or two a day, keep going back over them, make up a game based on some of these words – be as creative as you like! 🙂
We really hope that you are able to keep on being fit and healthy! Check out this video of a familiar face leading a remote PE lesson! Don’t have a ball at home? You can use a pair of socks rolled into a ball (ask your grown up how to do this!) Balled up socks will also work well if you’re doing this inside your house as it won’t damage anything!
Have a play on the Blob Opera – explore the sounds of the different voices and see what you can create! Then login to Purple Mash and look at your 2Do Music Explore. Create your own piece of music and don’t forget to click on ‘Hand in’ so that we can hear your creation!
Have a look at the following grid – try and do some of the challenges. They may not all be appropriate as you may not have all the things you need at your house. Ask someone to help you and always ask before cutting anything up or using anything around the house.
- Geography: London in the UK – *VIDEO LESSONS* (5 parts) – get watching to learn more about landmarks around the UK and in London! Once you have watched those, get learning more about the Seven Continents – *VIDEO LESSONS* (10 parts)
- Geography – here are some YouTube links to songs to help with learning and remembering!
Look at this video that we have found for you! Watch it all the way through and think about all of the places they visited. Where did they go? What did they see? Have you ever been to London? Have your grown ups been? Think about how London is different to Kirkby. Is anything the same?
Click the picture below to set sail on a quest to learn more about the Geography of the world! Learn about continents, oceans and the capital cities of the countries in the U.K. Keep coming back to this quest – by the end of the week you will be experts.
Oak National Academy Year 2 – Lots of resources and video lessons to explore and use.
Once Upon a Picture – A great website that gives a picture for the children to use as a starting point. there are also inference and comprehension questions.
Purple Mash – online learning platform where work will be set and can be handed in.
Phonics Play website – Many games on this website are free to use and it is packed full of fun, interactive games to support phonics.
White Rose Maths – Home Learning – We work on a lot of White Rose maths in class. They have fantastic resources on their website, to support maths learning at home.
BBC Bitesize website (Year 1 and 2) – This has activities, videos and quizzes for every subject! It’s worth an explore.
Times Tables Rock Stars – A fun website to practice times tables (login needed)
Numbots – Another fun website to help with number and fact recall (same login as Times Tables Rock Stars)
Oxford Owl Reading – A great website full of free to read ebooks (not the same as our phonic books in school but a great alternative to keep up that reading practice!)